3 Ways CBD May Work With Cancer
August 25, 2021
Some scientists have alluded to the idea that cannabidiol CBD might just be a strong fighting agent against cancer. And this is quite exciting news considering medical professionals still don’t have access to a cure.
Over the last decade, a lot of research has gone into this topic. But how much do we know and is CBD really going to be the miracle medicine we’ve been looking for?
Throughout this article, we’re going to look into what research says surrounding CBD and cancer.
1. CBD May Prevent Cancer from Spreading
Before we dive deeper into this topic, it’s important to remember that there are a lot of different forms of cancer. And the research we currently have has only looked into so many of these.
What we know, as of this time, is:
- Through a 2015 study, it was found that there was a link between cannabis use and bladder cancer. The study concluded that those who used cannabis (namely marijuana which has some CBD) were 45% less likely to develop bladder cancer.¹
- In another study, it was found that CBD averted a specific gene known to cause breast cancer. It was also discovered to impede on ID-1 which prevents cancer cells from spreading throughout the body.²
- Other research has found that CBD, along with the cannabinoids cannabivarin (CBV) and cannabigerol (CBG), has been found to control gene regulation responsible for the spread of skin cancer.³
What research confirms is CBD can’t necessarily battle cancer the way many people hoped. However, it may just be able to prevent cancer from spreading. And, with that, doctors may one day use it as a complementary therapy to already standard treatment.
2. CBD As Complementary Therapy For Cancer
The role of CBD goes beyond potentially being able to prevent cancer from spreading. The current treatment for cancer (primarily, chemotherapy) is extremely uncomfortable and comes with a list of side effects. It’s been discovered CBD may be able to help make this treatment a bit more bearable.
This is due to the fact that CBD has the ability to:
- Alleviate nausea
- Relieve pain
- Stimulate the appetite
3. Side Effects
Still, even with these benefits, it should be mentioned that CBD comes with some notable side effects. These include:⁴
- Low blood pressure (hypotension)
- Muscle relaxation
- Rapid heartbeat (tachycardia)
- Reduced digestion
As of this time, research concerning CBD and cancer remains inconclusive. Though there’s a lot of promise, we need to wait more time before we are certain as to the benefits of CBD for cancer.
Still, there are many people out there who may be looking at CBD for natural, therapeutic relief from cancer treatment. If you or someone you love is in this position, we invite you to visit our products page to learn more.
² Molecular Cancer Therapeutics: Cannabidiol as a novel inhibitor of Id-1 gene expression in aggressive breast cancer cells
³ Cancer Medicine: The current state and future perspectives of cannabinoids in cancer biology
⁴ Cannabis and Cannabinoid Research: An Update on Safety and Side Effects of Cannabidiol